Welcome to week 2 of the $100 Room Challenge! I have been working my butt off on my bedroom closet. Turns out, it could have been its own $100 challenge. But guess what!!! I busted out a great budget closet makeover and there’s no more hole in my wall. YAY for progress!!!!
I kinda went nuts and took everything out of my closet and threw it on my bed. At that point I wasn’t quite sure where I was going to sleep. If you did’t see my post on Instagram, you can check it out here. It fully explains why I thought I needed to sleep on the couch.
Let me remind you what my closet looked like last week.
Yup, it was that bad. Moulding was missing, we were lacking proper shoe storage, and everything was just tossed around.
And let’s not forget the glorious hole running the entire length of the side of the door. Gorgeous wasn’t it?
Well, I fixed holes from old closet “organizing” systems (I use that word loosely) and painted the whole inside white. Then I got to taking apart some shelves we had in our storage room. We are tuning that room into an office eventually and the shelves were just waiting to be dismantled. It was the perfect way to save some dough in my $100 budget. I basically just made a giant rectangle and attached 16″x23″ pieces of plywood at the top and bottom with pocket holes I made using my Kreg Jig. I made adjustable shelves by using cuts of plywood and covered them with contact paper for a little touch of pretty and to make them easier to clean since we are using the shelves for our shoe collection. This fancy little tool from Kreg will help you get those shelf pins in the right spots. No wobbly shelves for you!
I added a 2×4 across the center of the “box” to give some added stability. Then, I painted it with an orange paint I had left over from my front door. I think orange will be a great accent color for the sage walls that are coming soon.
My husband is super tall so his clothes go on the top bar, mainly because I can barely reach it, and I was able to separate my bars and hang my pants a little lower, giving him more room for the length of his suits and some of my dresses.
I even worked in a spot for our dry cleaning basket and my tall boots.
But wait, there’s more. Some simple robe hooks now hold all our belts.
Not done yet!
I upgraded our moulding! I used the same instructions as I used for my farmhouse windows. The sight of this makes me so unbelievably happy.
Oh, and the hole in my wall is gone! It pulled a little Keyser Soze.
I was also able to move the big black cabinet out of the space. Our master is small and having too much furniture in it just makes it feel smaller.
I think I need to move my tv lower on the wall, but we are making progress. It is a ton of work but it will all be worth it when we have a room that feels cozy, welcoming and ORGANIZED!
I can’t say that this makeover will complete this room entirely, but it has absolutely made me take some time and really think about what we want and need out of this bedroom.
I almost forgot!!! I bought a small cabinet magnet and added it on a 1×2 inside the door frame so the doors will finally stay closed! Man, all my pet peeves are getting taken care of and I am so happy about it.
Let’s take a look at what I spent.
- Shelf Paper -$5
- Shelf Brackets – $6
- Wood for the door trim- $27
- Door Magnet – $1.79
Now I need to get paint on these walls because I just know that will make a huge difference! Wish me luck.
I’m not the only one taking the $100 Room Challenge. You can find all the other bloggers here: